Saturday, May 17, 2014

Madrid never sleeps

After a long ordeal I arrived in Madrid yesterday.  My suitcase however arrived a day later.  I did not fret as much as I would have earlier in life.  The highlights?  Meyer my high school classmate Marise after 45 years.  Walked all around with her and then by myself.  The city is fascinating.  Went to the Museum Reina Sofia and saw the "Guernica" today.  Took 2 city tours and saw even more.  Ate lots of jamon iberico, tortilla espanola, and had beers.  Weather is lovely: sunny and warm.  

Unfortunately tonight one of the Madrid soccer teams won the championship and the city is crazy with noise, people, cars honking, and general chaos.  Will I be able to sleep?  I can't say.

My hotel is in neighborhood called Huertas - trendy, literary, filled with bars, cafés, restaurants, lively, very lively.

Tomorrow I plan to go to the Prado and Thyssen.  Looking forward to it.  Now I just hope I can sleep.  It's past 1 in the morning and the singing and screaming and drumming does not subside.

2 comments: